Financial Support

Financial Support

Finances can become particularly tight when you are on maternity leave, especially in today's climate. It is always worth checking to see if you are eligible for additional financial support during this time.

Healthy Start

If you're more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk. If you're eligible, you'll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. We'll add your benefit onto this card every 4 weeks.

You can use your card to buy:

plain liquid cow's milk; fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables; fresh, dried, and tinned pulses; infant formula milk based on cow's milk

You can also use your card to collect:

Healthy Start vitamins – these support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding; vitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to 4 years old

For more information on Healthy Start click here

Support from

  • Sure Start Maternity Grant -You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. In order to reveive this grant you must be expecting your first child, or you're expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already AND you or your partner already get certain benefits
  • Financial support if you already have children from Gov.UK
  • Childcare support including information on Sure Start Centres and unpaid leave entitlements when returning to work

Community Fridges

Four community fridges can be found across the County; these run on a first come, first served basis and are located at:

  • Wigston Children & Families Centre
  • Shelthorpe Children & Families Centre
  • Hinckley Children & Families Centre
  • Coalville Children & Families Centre

Visit here for more information

Food Banks

Food banks are community organisations that can help if you can't afford the food you need; there are a number of food banks situated across Leicestershire. In order to ensure help is available to those who really need it, a referral from a local district or borough or other recognised professional is needed to access a food bank. In order to receive support from a food bank, contact your local district or borough council who will be able to provide you with the information you need.

Blaby District Council

Charnwood Borough Council

Harborough District Council

Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council

Melton Borough Council

North West Leicestershire District Council

Oadby & Wigston Borough Council